It all started when I went to look for our Christmas tree I had left in our garage last January. As far as I'm concerned a garage is for storing all kinds of things; tools, the lawn mower, garbage cans, snow tires, your cars and a box with the fake Christmas tree in it! But, I guess I have been mistaken and according to my dear husband, who I love very much, we can't just put boxes of stuff in the garage and expect them not to get THROWN AWAY! Yes! He got a little cleaning bug up his you know where this summer and decided to clean and organize our garage. At the time, I thought it was a great idea and really appreciated him taking time to help out around the house. But, now that I found out he decided to throw away our Christmas tree I just about lost my Christmas spirit!
So, now I have no tree to put up and Ryan is aching to get out the decorations. I have to remind myself, that Ryan is still my little boy, at the tender age of 14 he is teetering on the edge of being a little kid and a teenager. What he really likes is the candy canes we hang on the tree, he likes to have one a day until Christmas! I got to talking to my good friend, Judy P, and she offered to give us her old Christmas tree. She did warn me that it was a 10foot fake tree and came in 3 large boxes and was a "bit of a pain" to put together. Well, a free 10 foot Christmas tree sounded like the deal of the year to me, so I took it.
While I was at work yesterday, Dave and Ryan started to unpack the tree and started to assemble it. We have an older home with 10 foot ceilings, so I thought that it would fit just fine. But I was wrong again! The bottom branches of the tree are six feet across! The height was not so much the problem as was the girth! We could not get into our front door, due to the expansion of this tree! So, we took it all apart (sorry Judy) and boxed it all up.
Now, we are going to go buy a real Christmas tree! We used to always have a real tree in our home. Growing up in Southern Oregon, we always went out and cut our own tree on BLM land. These trees were the best! They were so fresh, smelled wonderful and were always lopsided! We would make a day of it, taking hot chocolate and our sleds with us. Lots of wonderful memories!
Although the trip to the parking lot of the Liquor Store was not the adventure from my childhood, there is a happy ending here and we found the perfect tree and got it all decorated. Hope you all have your tree up and are enjoying the beginning of the Holiday Season!
OOPS!!!!!!!!!!:0) Is Dave still speaking to us??? That tree is gigantic, but we had NO idea it was 6 feet across...YIKES! :0) Hope you can find someone with a nice, BIG living room to give it to!!! I warned you it was a "major pain" just didn't realize it was a "major wide AND tall pain!! :0)
ReplyDeleteJudging by the last picture, I don't think your husband will make that mistake again. Could it have snowed anymore? That photo cracks me up! Sorry to hear it was a disaster, but glad you got a real tree this year!
ReplyDeleteKaren, too funny, but glad everything turned out OK.. I can relate to family discarding your favorite tree.. My family sold mine in a garage sale one year while I was at work.. Your tree looks wonderful and now you know why Judy wanted to get rid of the BIG one.. have a great day.
ReplyDeleteoh no!! glad you got a tree though!! great story - better scrapbook it! ;)
ReplyDeleteOMG!!!! How funny is this story. The tree looks great though, so does Dave tying it to the car. Could it have snowed any harder that day. This is a keeper for your memory pages.........
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha... this story cracked me up! Glad it all worked out and you got a real tree. They smell so good!
ReplyDeletelol it snowed so hard that day!
ReplyDeletei bet it was a pain to get that
huge thing in the house
that was a great story you should get it scrap-book it!
chloe