March 22, 2008

Grandma Rose

This is Dave's Grandma Rose.
She is one of the most amazing women I have every known.
She is 95 years old and up until a few days ago...
she still lived in her farm house by herself,
she still drove herself around town,
she still volunteered her time to many organizations,
she still planted a huge garden each spring,
she still made amazing homemade applesauce from the trees in her yard,
she still played cards and scrabble,
she still baked the best potato rolls...
but this past week, Grandma Rose had a stroke and now for the first time in over 75 years
she is not on the farm. She is in a hospice center, where she is stable and being made comfortable. She is not able to speak and her whole right side is paralyzed. She is able to understand what is being said to her and is able to communicate a bit with nods and shakes. We wish we were there to help support her and the family. We love you Grandma Rose!

7 comments:

  1. Words escape me. I'm so sorry. Miracles can and do happen so you never know how things will work out. I'll pray for Grandma Rose. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post you did about Rose, Dad and I love her so much and God will, in His wisdom, take care of her.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma Rose sounds like an amazing lady!!! What an incredible life she has lived---I hope that I can be doing just 1/2 the things that she was doing when I'm 95!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the people that touch our lives and influence the way we live in the most subtle ways. What an inspiring person she must be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like an amazing woman. Strokes are "funny" things. They can take everything away, but there are also lots of cases were people make dramatic leaps from the initial losses. Such was the case with my grandmother. Her stroke happened December 2006. The doctors were telling us to make our calls and tell everyone to visit and pay last respects. And yet the next day she began to recover some speech. And the next day, her hands were working. And day by day, things were given back. I totally believe in miracles and in being given gifts. I will pray for Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh karen - so sorry to hear about dave's grandma - she's in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!