Last week I had a customer and her husband come into the store to shop and we got to talking. I can't remember what started the conversation or how we got talking about it, but she started to share with me this new book she got from Oprah's latest book club. It is called "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. She told me she was doing this live web event on Oprah's website called A New Earth She shared with me how she is learning to live in the moment and stop all of those little voices in her head that bring her down. I told her how I stay awake at night with all of these thoughts coming and going...what I forgot to do today, what I have to do tomorrow, I go through my "worry list" and then I start to beat myself up for all of my failures, mistakes and weaknesses. We both just connected for a moment and nodded our heads in unison - yes...she knew exactly what I was talking about. I love that, a moment when a complete stranger can touch your life, maybe even change it! I wrote down the information and went home and registered for the web event. I am off to Waldenbooks and/or Hastings to get myself a copy of the book today.
I have read other spiritual books. Some of my favorites are The Four Agreements, The Secret. and any of the books by the Dalai Lama. I am not a religious person but I am spiritual. I was raised Catholic but to my Mom's disappointment I do not attend church and have not raised my children Catholic. I do believe and have raised my boys to believe that there is a higher power and that it does not matter if you believe it is God, Buddha, Muhammad or any other god or goddess - just that we need to BELIEVE. We are a very open minded family and have raised our children to not judge other's beliefs or convictions. So, I am excited to explore this new book and to learn and grow as a human being.
I will be watching the first web cast - Monday night, March 3rd at 6pm (pacific time.) If anyone else is reading this book or doing the web cast, let me know!
Hey there. I am doing it. It is a great book.
ReplyDelete