I am having so much fun art journaling! My style is a little bit funky and can be very busy! I love the process of collecting and cutting out magazine images that speak to me. I also love that I can just create art for arts sake…art that is just for me!
Knowledge comes from learning. Wisdom comes from Living. ~ Anthony Douglas Williams
This page started out with magazine collage images including a braided rug, owl, eyes and lots of colorful and patterned images cut into strips for the border and the owls hat. Then I did some shading, stamping and doodling with a variety of mediums. The last step was the lettering – I found this great quote and did some research on the author. Anthony Douglas Williams has a very interesting book called Inside the Divine Pattern about the discovery of truth, wisdom and prophecy. I have not read the book – but this quote was very fitting for my owl collage. I have finally accepted my handwriting/lettering and am embracing it.
The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage. ~ Thucydides
If you know me well, you know I LOVE otters – sea otter, river otters, giant otters! They are one of my totem animals. When we go to Port Townsend for vacations, we stay at a Time Share called Discovery Bay and there is a family of otters that live in the bay. I just love watching them swim around and get up on the dock. This collage started out with a magazine photo of a cut tree trunk and was built up from there. I love the otter image and could not resist putting butterfly wings and a collar on her! I used a black water soluble oil pastel to shade the magazine collage and to add black circles to the back ground. I also used my water based sharpie poster pens to add white accents and to add a pop of fluorescent color to the wings.
The Reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply because they have faith,
for to have faith is to have wings. ~ Sir James Matthew Barrie
J.M. Barrie was a Scottish author and dramatist, best remembered today as the
creator of Peter Pan.
This little bird creature was so fun to create. The body of the bird is a really modern light fixture from a design magazine. After I put the image down it looked a lot like a dress and bodice – so that was the start to this one. I love making pointy hats and almost feel like my collaged creatures or people are just not complete without one!
~ Karen
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you!